Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Blogging Buddies: Leroy and Sara



Hey everyone. Sara here from Sarbear’s Journey. I’m so glad to have the opportunity to tell you about one of my furry kiddos. We share our home with many four-footers, one cat and three dogs, but today I’d like to tell you about our most recent adoptee, Leroy.

My home state of Missouri has an unfortunate title of being the puppy mill capital and during my months working at an animal shelter an important piece of legislation was on the table in attempts to change this.

One very large breeder that had drawn a lot of negative attention decided to prepare for the passing of Proposition B, as this legislation was called, and held a dog auction. In order to keep these animals from going back into a life of living in cages, many rescues joined forces and funds to try to bring as many of these sweeties home as possible.



That’s where my little Leroy comes in. It was the night before Halloween 2010 and I left a party to go help bath and settle the incoming pooches. Around 10pm I was photographing injuries when a long-haired Chihuahua came into view. The moment he came into my arms I knew that’s where he would stay. I snipped his numbered tag from his neck and game him the name of Leroy.

For the following week I brought him back and forth to work with me and to appointments with the veterinarian. He had 10 rotten teeth and cleaning of the others and a long overdue appointment to be neutered. I felt such relief knowing that after four years of life his breeding days were finally over. We’ve been loving life together ever since and this little guy is like my furry soul mate. If any pair was ever meant to be together, it’s us.



There is no one favorite moment we have shared because every day I find such pride in his progress. He’s only been with us 11 months and every time I see him trust a little more or fear a little less I feel my heart swelling just a little bit bigger. It’s been such a joy seeing his transformation and I’ll always be his number one supporter, there for him to hide behind if this big ol’ world becomes just a little too much. For that love he gives back to me ten fold.

As for advice, I am a huge supporter of pet adoption and of providing a home for these many puppy mill refugees, but you must know what you’re getting into. Before Leroy came to us he had only lived in a wire cage. This has led to many health issues that we’ll always have to keep in eye on as well as potty training issues. He’s fairly comfortable with other animals, but human socialization will be a life-long journey as he learns to trust. These critters take a lot of patience, a lot of love, and the ability to be understanding of their fears and insecurities, but they give back more love and loyalty than one heart can contain.

If you have any questions about pet adoption or want to see the rest of our crew feel free to swing by for a visit. I’m always up for talking animals and helping anyone on their pet guardian journey.


* * * * * * *
Thank you Sara, for sharing your story!!

We are currently seeking submissions for the Blogging Buddies series, and we would love to hear all about your pet or pets, please email us!
windshielddiaries at gmail dot com

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful story! I really appreciate your love for animals and I am in awe of all the work you do.

    ReplyDelete

leave us a note, we love to hear from you!