Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Trouble a-brewin'

 My and I recently brewed our second batch of beer. We made a small batch of IPA a couple of months ago, but because it was our first time, it didn't turn out as well as we had hoped for. We think we got it right this time with round 2!

 We picked up a kit for a Robust Porter....and we did a little research and added our own secret ingredients to make it a bit unique. Hopefully this won't effect the final drinkability ;)

 We had to gate sad little Emmett out of the kitchen. Hops are very bad for dogs and we couldn't take the chance of him accidentally eating some!

 M put the grains into the steeping bag and steeped the water, turning it to wort.

 And steeped some more...

 Finally after 20 minute of steeping, the wort was ready for the boil.

 The wort was boiled for 60 minutes, with additional ingredients being added at different intervals.

 Emmett got bored of this project and crashed.

 We had a boil over, oops!

After the 60 minute boil, the wort takes an ice bath so that it can be cooled down enough to add the yeast. Then it's placed in a bucket for 2-3 weeks of fermentation.

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. this looks so cool! i really wish that i liked beer more. maybe i just haven't found the right one yet.


leave us a note, we love to hear from you!