Tuesday, June 15, 2010

baking my first macarons

I have been obsessed with macarons since I had my first one in april. Last week I finally bought the I Love Macarons book, and this week I decided to take the plunge and try baking my own!
Step one was to draw out my template on parchment paper. I tried tracing a circle, but it kept slipping around so I just did them all free hand.

The main ingredients: almond meal and confectioners sugar

the almond meal and the sugar have to be double sifted together...I think I bought a sifter with too fine mesh, so this step was long and frustrating for me.

The egg whites and sugar after being meringued together.

The book gave a really great tip for how to fill a pastry bag when you don't have a second set of hands to help. Ingenious!

Little macs in a row. After you place them on the parchment paper, they need to sit and settle. Mine had to settle a really long time because it was a humid rainy day. You know they are settled when you touch them and they don't stick to your finger. I was getting impatient, so I didn't wait long enough and a few ended up cracking.

While the macs were settling, I tried making the buttercream recipe from the book...and this is what happened when I tried to make simple syrup in the microwave and didn't monitor it... so I ditched their buttercream recipe and just used my own: unsalted butter, an egg, an confectioners sugar.

Ok little macs, you've waited long enough, time to go in the oven!
The book suggested turning the tray halfway through the baking process (15-18 minutes). So I turned the tray at 8 minutes.

And they are done! You can see a couple cracked, but other than that they look pretty good!

After letting them cool for about 30 minutes, I piped the buttercream and started to sandwich them.

Aren't they cute little guys?

Vanilla with vanilla buttercream macarons.

Next time I make them, I think I will half the recipe, because it's enough batter for 2 dozen macs! And I think I will make them a little bigger. I think I made them a little too small for the allotted cooking time, and they came out too crisp. Next time, we'll try making them at a 2" diameter instead of a 1" diameter.

But they are still tasty, even if they are a little crispy! M can't stop eating them!

6 comments:

  1. So are these gluten free? If so, I just died and went to heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oo they look so good...very tempted to try making them myself now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, i'm obsessed too! i need some kind of macaron support group or something.

    my first batch looked like a royal wreck though, yours look delightful ^___^

    if you want to get seriously serious about macaronage, check out this great post by ms. humble: http://notsohumblepie.blogspot.com/2010/04/macarons-101-french-meringue.html

    she troubleshoots and gives great advice for making macarons.

    macaron love all around!
    ♥katy

    p.s. white chocolate with a tiny bit of rose water for filling is to DIE for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look delicious! Have you thought of adding a bit of food coloring to the mac batter?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, am hooked on macarons and also bought this book. ;) I can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete

leave us a note, we love to hear from you!