Tuesday, September 7, 2010

our labor day 2010


We spent this labor day the same way we spent it last year: at Saratoga Race Track for the closing day of the season.

We arrived before the second race and decided not to place any bets because it was a turf race, and we only like to bet races on the dirt. So we scanned our program for the third race.

I'm not an expert handicapper by any stretch of the imagination, but I keep up on the sport and what goes on during the meet. M is more of a stat studying handicapper who likes to chase the exotics.

I chose my horses for the third race because I knew their trainer is a former jockey who has had an outstanding record, and I put $1 to Win Place or Show on both of them, despite neither having favorable odds.

I went up to the fence to take photos, not even thinking of my bets until the horses ran past me.

Here they come!


THIS was my OMG moment....um....these are the two horses I picked...and they were running in first and second place as they approached the finish line! My heart jumped into my throat.


And that's how they finished. Number 4 came in first and was named Shahzadi, and he went off at 46 TO 1! The biggest long shot in the race, and I picked him! Number 10 placed and was named Above the Call. These two little ponies made my day!

We stayed for a few more races, and on the way back to the car I caught these beauties relaxing at the stables:


We could spend EVERY Labor Day here for the rest of our lives!

7 comments:

  1. Wow. What a luck break! And those horses are gorgeous.

    http://ficklecattle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was 8 and for about a week I wanted to be a female jockey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a great day!! super picks too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh super fun! I went to horse races last year and I didn't do as well. :P My bf on the other hand better luck. The funny thing is after the races I went inside and made $20 on the slots. I guess the slots are my thing. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were there the same day! We got there just as the third race was called:) We actually saw those horses also! Freaky!

    ReplyDelete

leave us a note, we love to hear from you!